Monday, July 11, 2005

John 8

Tim is preaching from John this semester. His sermons in John 7 and 8 have been gems.

Yesterday he focused on 8:27 "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be and that I do nothing on my own, but speak just what the Father has taught me." Earlier Jesus says in v. 24 "...if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins."

These are very bold and convicting statements, and I have to ask myself what would I have done if I had stood there....Would I have picked up stones, laughed, thought him crazy, or would I have just shaken my head and walked away? Probably the last is what I would have done--I don't like violence, laughter is disrespectful, some of his statements made sense so he couldn't be crazy, so I would have probably have shrugged him off.

I shrug off this passionate man every day when I fail to give credence to his teachings, when I forget forgiveness, skip by grace, shortchange prayer. Lord, help me to take what Jesus says to heart, to mind, and to action.

No comments: