Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Twinkle, twinkle, little stars

Last night as I was babysitting (one of my favorite things to do), we were playing
"Let's Put on a Show". The girls have a microphone which is magnified (I need to buy another--it was hard to share). I had them wait behind the door in their little house in the play room, and then they would be announced--"Ladies and gentlemen, here's Miss Maddie Thomas singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." The spotlight would come on ( I needed a flashlight, but couldn't find one, so it was just pretend). Maddie would come out the door, do a deep bow and start singing. Meanwhile Ella waited in the wings for her turn.

Once, Ella grew tired of waiting and came out with Maddie, and they began singing together. Maddie's little sweet pitch-perfect version and Ella's raucous contralto, almost guttural version with her made-up words every now and then (sounding slightly German). It was the most hilarious things I have witnessed--wish I had a recording, because things like that don't happen again. What a joy. They also sang "Shout Hallelujah" with appropriate dancing.

That's the fun of living in Nashville, folks.

No comments: