Thursday, March 03, 2005

End notes on lists and misc.

One of the things about being a former English teacher is that people are always scared to write or talk in front of you--afraid of making a grammatical mistake. Add to that being a librarian too (O, dear I have an overdue book, and I haven't read a book this year)--one can easily see what I am fighting. I am not a grammar Nazi, nor do I check other's book records. I do, however, have the following advice to adult readers:

l. Never underestimate the role model you are to your children in modeling the
habit of reading. Parents who have nothing in their houses but People Magazine
and The National Inquirer and who never go to a library or buy a book must ask themselves "What am I teaching my children?"

2. Never waste your time reading a book that hasn't grabbed you in the first 50
pages. Life is too short.

3. Just because a book is on the best-seller list for weeks does not mean it is a
good book.

4. Just because a book is a classic does not mean it is a good book for you--try it
by checking out a copy from the public library (One of the best bargains
around!) and then buy it if you like it.

5. Just because someone like me has recommended the book does not mean you will
like it too. Reading is very personal.

6. If you read 250-500 wpm (very average), you can read at least 30 books a year
depending on their length.

7. It is amazing how much the desire for reading increases when the television is
broken.

8. Conversely, no one in the last 25 years has spurred reading like Oprah Winfrey.

No comments: