Friday, March 11, 2005

On a Lighter Note--Sorry state of children's books

I am gathering today a list of preschool books for Otter's Wayne Reed Day Care Center. I have been struck at how many of the books I am listing have been published before 1990. I don't think it is because I am not keeping up with new publications--I am.

I do believe that there are very few children's writers today writing books like Where the Wild Things Are or The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Even Eric Carle's last few offerings have not been up to his former standard. And who today can beat Goodnight, Moon as a bedtime book? We have degenerated to potty training books, books that have very poor illustrations, and books that are just take-offs on old classics. We need good new children's writers and illustrators! Teachers, get off
Accelerated Reader and begin to give your children good books without questions at the end. Art teachers, start training your students to illustrate books--it is a good living if the artist is half-way decent.

No comments: