Monday, March 14, 2005

AR again

Dear Kendra,

How stupid of me to put off Accelerated Reader (AR) on the teachers. Of course it is a program touted by overly ambitious principals and competitive PTA moms who love to brag about the scores their kids bring home. I think the public would be angry to know how much of their money and PTA money is spent for mediocre paperbacks, stickers, and all the paraphernalia which comes with the program. I keep hoping it will just collapse under its own weight. Unfortunately that is not happening. No, I don't know how to deal with a mediocre program--especially when some principals insist the teacher report all the students' scores to him/her and insist that those scores be part of the reading grade. Otherwise, I might suggest a subversive tactic.

Just keep trucking like the wonderful teacher you are--nobody can make you choose a certain book to read aloud to the class. I guess that is where I would start.

No comments: