Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Junior Bacon Cheeseburger

The rain began as I pulled into Wendy's in Franklin to get a junior bacon cheeseburger for lunch. I suddenly had a flashback to a time years ago.

Take One and Reflections were recruiting musical groups paid by ACU to go out and gather in students. They sang in churches, youth group meetings, camps, etc. One summer Brandon was a member of one of them (can't remember which one), and I was privileged to chaperone them for a few days on one of their trips. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I learned how hard they worked, how much young students admired them, and what they did on the road (some things do not bear repeating.)

One night they were scheduled to sing at Camp Bandina in the Hill country ( I think--I know Brandon will straighten out the details). It was raining cats and dogs, so not only were we tired and cranky, but also dripping wet. We were invited to join the evening meal and mix with the campers, and then the perfomance would commence.

After the performance and the sales of cassettes, we loaded up in a driving rain and set out on unfamiliar roads, in a darkness unlit by street lights, for the next destination. I think Val was driving. I am so glad he did not know how scared I was--I always tend to get scared when driving in hills or mountains. It seemed to me we were careening off the hills, parting flood waters, gaining speed and energy listening to Steven Curtis Chapman singing "Get on Your Horses."

I very relieved when we reached the next town where we stopped at Wendy's for a bite--we were all starving because the camp food was not particularly appealing. This was where I had my first junior bacon cheeseburger. (Abilene did not have a Wendy's at that time.) I was never so thankful for a cheeseburger in my life!

Thanks to the group for the experience, to Val for being a good driver, and for the sweet memories.

No comments: