Friday, March 18, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

After Brandon's review of this movie yesterday, I had to go see it today. I think Mike has also done a blog about it. It was truly heart-wrenching; more heart-wrenching to know that it happened while I was alive and well, and I didn't even care about it. I just "went back to my supper."

I must also tell myself now that tonight in East Nashville there are children who are in mortal danger, who are starving, who are homeless. Do I care about them?
I must reiterate the theme of the words of Mother Teresa on Brandon's blog--we start with one, one, one. She picked up one dying leper off the Calcutta streets and started a ministry which has thus far saved 50,000 people. The first one must be picked up. And if I can't pick him/her up, I must help those who can. There are certain people in our religious community who can go where I cannot. As a weak, gray-haired white woman, I do not need to be in East Nashville alone at night looking for the homeless. I can, however, support those who are.

Right now, I am really high on the Salvation Army and its work. I know a family in Abilene to which it has made all the difference in the world as their drug-ridden son is being fed with material and spiritual food, has a place to sleep, and counseling at the Army. As far as I know, there are no Christian folk in Abilene doing all that. I can and will contribute to this good work.

I know of missionaries from Otter Creek who are picking up street kids in Kenya and feeding and clothing them, giving them a place to live and teaching them a trade as well as about God. I can help them.

There are so many things we can do that we fail to do because we are absorbed in our 24-7 materialist culture.

I will remember Hotel Rwanda as the catalyst for my doing more.

No comments: