Friday, March 04, 2005

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

It snowed here this week--Some got 3 inches; others got a dusting. Since coming to Nashville, I have fanticized about a huge snowstorm with drifts of velvet white and me with a book by the fireplace looking out the window at the glorious flakes.

So far, it is still fantasy. I don't know why I love snow so much; it is cetainly not from many experiences with it. Some of my favorite memories are snow related. When Brandon was about 3, Sam's family (including us) spent two Thanksgivings in Cloudcroft, N. M. We ate ham and drank hot chocolate by a wood fire watching skaters on the pond, and we slid down the mountain on inner tubes. I still marvel that I did that! Later in Abilene after a big snow, Sam took a plastic box and built an igloo with Brandon and the Lorenz children. Going out to the Abilene State Park after a big snow is also a pleasant memory.

I love snow songs like ...let it snow, etc. "Winter Wonderland" and "White Christmas" Wish we heard them more frequently than Christmas. Of course, I begin playing Christmas songs on November 1 and play them until Jan. 15.

Perhaps God created snow so that we could use the "white as snow" metaphor for our cleansed sin. At any rate, Thank You Father for what Emerson called "the whited air" and the dancing snowflakes.

No comments: