Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Names

Isn't it strange what your mind does when you are asleep? I awoke this morning thinking about names--about which names are an alphabetic letter and the people I knew with those names. For example, B--(Bea, Bea Arthur), D--(Dee, Sandra Dee),
J--(Jay, Jay Leno), K--(Kay, Kay Hawkins), M (Em--Aunt Em in Oklahoma). Why was I thinking that? Don't know.

The most popular names in 2004 for babies were Madison for girls and Ethan for boys.

Strangest name I ever heard for a girl was Girley Q. Gold (Hamlin, Texas) a classmate of mine. For a man--Iron Andrews (a man in my mother-in-law's genealogy. We once threatened to name Brandon Brandon Iron. Glad we didn't.

Names are important to our lives--I never knew a Delilah or Bathsheba. But I have know many Marys. Never knew a Judas, but know several Pauls. Teachers shake their heads every August about the strange names in their class, almost unpronounceable, which the child will be stuck with for life. Harry Truman spent his life explaining that was no period after S; it was just Harry S Truman.

The name above all names blesses us whatever our names and aren't we glad. Some one once said that "Grace means we don't all have to be Pauls." Thank you Lord.

No comments: