Friday, January 21, 2005

Sleep tight

Yesterday was one of those days widows dread: the "service engine soon" light came on in my NEW Buick, and there was no hot water when time came to take a shower--Thinking something was wrong with my car and hot water heater did not allow sleep to come easily, nor rest to be sweet. Turns out I had to have a new fuel injector (under warrenty) and the breaker switch on the hw heater had flipped. Why do I lose my cool over such easily fixed situations? My father was a great worrier; I guess it is in the genes. So I am thinking about Proverbs 3:24 tonight at I go to bed: "When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet."

While I waited at the dealership from 7:30 to 11:30, I had time to read several magazines. The January 17 issue of Time has an excellent feature about happiness.
My interest in journaling perked up when I read that psychologist Sonya Lyubonursky had found in a study that those who conscientiously counted their blessings at least once a week in a "gratitude journal" significantly increased their overall satisfaction with life over a period of only six weeks. Robert Emmons also found that improved physical health, rising energy levels, relief from pain and fatigue came as added bonuses.

I am grateful tonight for a repaired car and hot water heater. Nighty-Night

No comments: