Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Artful happenings

The heaviness over the Highland situation is slowly melting away--thank you Lord for continual blessings.

Some ladies at Otter took me for my first visit to the Frist (art museum) today.
It is one classy place. There is a children's interactive area which is first rate, and the building itself it to die for. I loved it! Perhaps the NCCIL can exhibit there some day. They do not have a permanent collection, but do only traveling exhibits and those that they mount themselves.

The one I saw today was an original curated by them--an exhibition of clothing made by Manuel for the entertainers here in Nashville--fabulous. Brought back old memories of watching the Porter Waggoner (sp?) Show every Saturday night. The docent was one of the best I have ever watched.

As Henry James once said, there is no substitute for the force and beauty of art (whether it is clothing or Renoir).

Today made me homesick for the NCCIL. Aren't we all glad that Kevin Henkes won the Caldecott? GO KEVIN!!!! And the book is black and white. Interesting.

Have I mentioned that I hate the how early the dark comes here at night? Often by 4:30, one can tell that night is coming. Makes me want to go to bed at 6:00. Church at 7:00 seems like midnight. I guess I will get used to it. With that, I am going to bed.

No comments: