Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Send only those who are accomplished

In regard to the DSL fiasco I mentioned yesterday--Brandon has convinced me that I needed the faster avenue. I called the local phone company, and they sent out 2 guys on Monday. They could not get it on my computer for some reason and left saying that a computer man would call me later to "walk me through it." That struck fear in the heart of this novice. He did call, could not get me going and finally said there was something wrong with my computer. By this time I was chewing nails. I didn't have DSL and I could not dial up.

Tuesday afternoon another man came, spent about 10 minutes, and DSL is now working perfectly. Turns out he knew more than the others who were trying to help me--If you want it done right, send someone who knows how to do it. Are you noticing a great cloud of ignorance in employees these days? Reminds me of the time I went into a Christian bookstore in Abilene and asked where the books by Henri Nouwen were. The clerk said, "How do you spell that?"

Thank you for those who do know what they are doing--may their tribe increase. For other info about this problem, see Brandon's blog today. My friends Joe Sharp and Terri Bawcom (both dentists) would shudder to read it.

No comments: