Sunday, September 19, 2004

Teacher Movies

I collect movies about teachers. I used to show some in my classes and workshop. Movies have a way of bringing home lessons to this visual generation that even a wonderfully written classroom lecture cannot match. I don't have a copy of these, but several years back there were some good ones: Blackboard Jungle, Up the Down Staircase, and Dangerous Minds. My favorite is Mr. Holland's Opus. Although it almost sinks in the middle, the movie has a wonderful ending. Dead Poet's Society comes in a close second--I guess it would be a favorite of anyone who has had a charismatic English teacher. I also enjoyed Music of the Heart which is based on a true story. Julia Robert's The Mona Lisa Smile was a flop for me and at the box office. Goodby Mr. Chips was entertaining and enchanting. Have I forgotten one?

No comments: