Tuesday, September 21, 2004

One day at a time

"...you hem me in--behind and before; you have laid your hand on me." Psalm 139:5
In a thought-provoking sermon called "Bread of Angels", Barbara Brown Taylor examines the phenomenon of manna and its effect in the lives of the Israelites. She compared manna to the the grits of the South--"fine, flaky things that are absolutely no good left over."
Manna was a reminder to the tribe that they were living one day at a time by the providence of God. I need such a reminder in my life. I have been working the last few months on believing more fully that God is with me now, today, everyday, everywhere, and in everything (Psalm 139).
The benefits are mind-boggling and comforting. Taylor says that if you are willing to look at everything that comes to you as coming from God, there will be no end to manna in your life. Father, that is what I desire--to be so hemmed in, to be so completely caught up in living each day with you that I feel the overwhelming covering of your love "...in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God." Exodus 16:12

No comments: