Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Let's all go to the movies--Musicals

It has been a very disappointing summer as far as movie offerings go. I can think of only two I really enjoyed--King Arthur and Troy. I recently got so hungry for a movie, I went to see The Princess Diaries, Part II. It was actually not too bad--at least it had Julie Andrews.

I don't know that the fall is going to be much better, except for the forthcoming biography of Lewis Carroll. So I began thinking about all of my favorite movies. If lists of favorites bore you, come back in a week. It has been fun remembering and evaluating.

My favorite musical (which are all but dead these days): I think a tie for first would be Evita and Fiddler on the Roof. However, I never met a musical I didn't like--even Yentle (sp.?). My favorite Broadway musical has not come to the movies yet--Les Miserables. But I must not despair about the fall; I understand Phantom of the Opera is coming. Do you think Hollywood will ever do Aida?

P.S. How could I not write about in the My Fair Lady, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Singing in the Rain and......

No comments: