Monday, April 04, 2005

The Sounds of Silence II

I have a friend who teaches communication at a Christian university who assigns her students a media fast during the first semester of school. They are to watch no TV or movies (DVD or theater), turn off the radio, the cd player, the computer, the fax machine, read no newspapers, etc. for one week. At the end of the week, they are to write their reactions to the deprivation.

Some of the students refuse to do the assignment; some do not get through the week. They take a lower grade rather than fast.

How would you do? Though some might say that since I am a widow with no one at home but me, I might do pretty well. That is not necessarily so because of my daily habit of Katie, Matt, Al and Anne and my love of Antiques Roadshow. How would a day go without music? I don't want to find out.

I read recently of a man who decided not to speak from dusk on Saturday to Sunday night as part of his celebration of Sabbath.

Any takers on either proposition? If you decide to do either, write and let me know how it went.

No comments: