Thursday, April 14, 2005

FDR

Tuesday was also the anniversary of FDR's death in 1945. I remember where I was, although I was only seven.

I was sitting in a cave my brothers and I had dug in a vacant lot across the street from our house. It was actually just a hole we had enlarged with seats dug out in the corners. I was eating a salmon croquette mayonnaise sandwich when the "fire whistle" started blaring. In our small town, the fire whistle called the volunteers to the station to fight a fire. But this siren went on so long, we all knew something extraordinary was happening. I ran home and found my mother listening to the radio announcer telling the sad news.

I wish I didn't know about FDR's affair with Lucy Mercer and about his ego which wouldn't allow pictures of him in a wheelchair. I guess I prefer my heroes mythologized rather than the warts and all buffet carried in today's tabloids. We needed heroes in the dark days of WWII, and we need them today.

No comments: