Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Clois Fowler

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the announcement that Jonas Salk had found a cure for polio.

I never knew anyone in my small town who had polio, but I do recall the elation at the announcement: the extremely large headlines in the paper and pictures of Jonas Salk in magazines and newspapers, etc.

A dear friend in Abilene Clois Fowler has suffered terribly from post polio afflictions, and I thought of him yesterday. He missed the cure that benefitted my generation. But despite his health problems, he became a spiritual giant, long associated with The Herald of Truth, and he also served as an elder at Highland.
Clois also has a great gift for storytelling--love him! (and Betty too!)I am still waiting for the book he should write.

No comments: