Saturday, April 02, 2005

Making Beds

As I babysat last night while Zoe recorded, I was privileged to see one of those sweet moments I treasure.

I brought the girls new beach towels (on sale at the Disney store). Maddie, followed by Ella, of course, immediately began "making beds" all over the downstairs. Gathering a pillow here and a "blankie" there , any open space was open to being "made".

At one point in the evening, Maddie had labored for a long time spreading the towel over couch pillows until there was no wrinkle in sight (my own bed should be so smooth!). She positioned the right pillow in just the right place and spread a pink blanket over the bottom half for cover. Then she stood on the couch looking down at her handiwork and said, "That is so pretty!"

I pray that Maddie will always be enthralled by the simple work of her hands and by the soft gifts of rest she can create.

No comments: