Thursday, February 24, 2005

You Can Go Home Again

Sorry, Thomas Wolfe, you can go home again--I just did it. And it was glorious!
The week was full of so many good things, I can't write them all. But read Mike and Brandon's blog about what was one of the most extraordinary Sundays at Highland I have ever seen. You can go home again, but not without weeping.

Staying with our friends Ronnie and Darla was such a blessing. I cannot articulate how much I miss them. As I told them, I seem to be subtly pushed toward an older group at Otter, and that is not what I desire. My "group" at Highland was at last 10 years younger than I, and that didn't bother them or me at all. Anyway back to R and D who date back in our lives to when they were mere children at Minter Lane, Darla was Sam's secretary at two schools, our kids grew up together, got in trouble together and survived teenage together, and we attended Minter and Highland together. Sam didn't live to see it, but one of my proudest moments was seeing Ronnie accept the position of elder at Highland. Both of them are a team for the Lord in so many ways I cannot even begin to enumerate--not the least of which is their love for us. They know us well, warts and all--and still call us family. And besides that, they have fallen in love with Maddie and Ella. Love them!

I didn't get to attend too many of the classes and lectures--but there are always the Gaylor tapes. A wonderful one I did hear was Harold Shank, who provided many moving stories about missionaries and other of God's servants.

It was strange to attend as a visitor.Kinda Nice.

And we had two days of 82 degrees--That's West Texas--today it is probably 30 degrees like it is here. One strange thing was that we did not have enough wind to get Maddie and Ella's kites very high. There is ALWAYS wind in Abilene.

Thank you God for the opportunity to go home and see those I love. Help all of us never to forget how important community and friends are to our lives.

No comments: