Monday, February 28, 2005

List # 6 Quotations

In 1979 I began to collect quotations from books, sermons, cartoons, speeches, etc. mainly because my feeble memory would not bring them back when I needed them. Most are about reading, books, teaching, and God. It is my habit to always have a journal and a pen handy when I read a book so I can write down what strikes me. In addition, I have taken to buying collections of quotations on certain themes--No, I do not have a Bartlett's--it is too overwhelming. Here is a list of my favorite books of quotations and a quotation from each book:

Glaspey, Terry W. A PASSION FOR BOOKS. "Where is the human nature so weak as in a bookstore?" Henry Ward Beecher

Jacobs, Ben. THE QUOTABLE BOOK LOVER. "Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." Anton Chekov

Kaplan, Rob and Harold Rabinowitz. SPEAKING OF BOOKS. "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it is too dark to read." Groucho Marx

Karon, Jan. PATCHES OF GODLIGHT, FATHER TIM'S FAVORITE QUOTES. "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley

Levanthal, Sallye, ed. NOTATIONS, QUOTATIONS ON MUSIC. "Where words fail, music speaks." Hans Christian Andersen

Petras, Katherine, ed. AGE DOESN'T MATTER UNLESS YOU'RE A CHEESE. "I have everything now I had twenty years ago, except now it's all lower." Gypsy Rose Lee
(I needed this one on the blog about boobs!)

Robinson, Ray. FAMOUS LAST WORDS. "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist---."
General John Sedgewick at the Battle of the Wilderness, commenting on Confederate
sharpshooters.

No comments: