Friday, February 25, 2005

Seeing the Lord's glory--List #4

Michelangelo once said, "Lord, make me see thy glory in every place." While I often see His glory in people and the creation, I most often see His glory in the writings of wise and spiritual authors. Following is a list of some of my favorite inspirational and spiritual readings:

INSPIRATION AND SPIRITUALITY

Campolo, Tony. LET ME TELL YOU A STORY--he is probably one of our most gifted story-
tellers and these are some of his best.
Counsell, Michael. 2,000 YEARS OF PRAYER--this book opened my eyes to the gifts
offered by the saints and church fathers which in younger years I had often
shrugged off as old, boring Catholic writers. How prosaic! But in my defense,
there were many good gifts offered by others that the fellowship in which I grew
up neglected or condemned. A blog about that later.
Cloninger, Claire. A PLACE CALLED SIMPLICITY

Edelman, Marian Wright. THE MEASURE OF OUR SUCCESS. A letter to her children about
how we all should act.

Foster, Richard. CELEBRATION OF DISCIPLINES.
STREAMS OF LIVING WATER. I am so glad to see Foster embraced
widely now. He is a visionary.

Heatherly, Joyce Landorf. BALCONY PEOPLE--probably my favorite metaphor about "the
great cloud of witnesses."

L'Engle, Madeleine. TRAILING CLOUDS OF GLORY--in fact, all of her books are great!
Lamott, Anne. TRAVELING MERCIES. Probably my very favorite read in this area over
the last few years--it is her spiritual memoir.
Lucado, Max. HE CHOSE THE NAILS. I can see Max's picture of Him saying goodby to
the carpenter shop in my mind today.

Norris, Kathleen. DAKOTA. Her story of how this secular poet regained her faith
after moving back to her grandmother's town.
CLOISTER WALK. Her account of growing deeper spiritually after
her "immersion in a liturgical world" at St. John's Abbey in Minnesota.


More tomorrow.

No comments: