Sunday, February 13, 2005

Lord, We Come Before Thee Now

As we sang Lord, We Come Before Thee Now, my heart went back to the thousands of times I sang the hymn in the old (now torn down) Hamlin Church of Christ. With its number frequently posted on the song board (remember those?), it was truly a church favorite. Bro. B led it as a rolling gallop; Bro. H led it as a funeral dirge. I preferred the gallop--although surely there was a happy medium we never found.

I am always interested in the stanzas that we did not sing because they were not printed in our hymnal or because we did not agree with them. Stanza four of this one says: Send some message from Thy Word
That may joy and peace afford;
Let thy Spirit now import
Full salvation to each heart.

In those days of the 50's we barely mentioned the Spirit and then only when reading a Bible verse containing it.

Thank you William Hammond for the hymn I sang as a child and still love.

No comments: