Friday, November 12, 2004

The Polar Express

I went to see The Polar Express today. I think I was the only one there without children.

Turning a beloved short picture book into a full-length film is a gamble. But most of the film rang my bell--It was So Chris Van Allsberg. The animators need to work on their characters' eyes some more and some of the movements were jerky, but children don't notice that. The train is magnificent! And the scene at the center of the city at the North Pole when Santa leaves gave me goosebumps--it was magic. The ending of the book was handled very well in the film making me misty as I always am when I read the book aloud. The addition of a ghostly hobo and slap-stick engineers stuck a jarring note--I did not like that at all; the rocking elves after Santa left was another useless addition. I liked the character development of the children on the train (not in the book). Tom Hanks was also very good as the conductor. All in all, it is a keeper and will be one of the stellar repeats of the season from year to year. I can't wait to buy a copy of the DVD.

Toys R Us is across the street from the theater, and I felt pulled to go and shop for Maddie and Ella. I was bad, but not as bad as I usually am. I am excited about Christmas in Nashville.

Thank you Lord for teaching to us to give gifts to those we love and to give ourselves to You.

No comments: