Monday, November 15, 2004

A child is born

35 years ago last night, Sam and I were fighting football traffic around Shotwell rushing to get to the hospital in time for Brandon Scott's birth. He waited a while and was born at 6:34 a.m. on November 15 at Hendrick Hospital. He weighed seven lbs. and nine oz. and was 20 1/2 inches long with little fluffs of reddish brown hair around his head. Our long-awaited son (we had been married seven years) stared at us with beautiful blue eyes (I think most babies have blue eyes). My doctor was an Abilene legend Dr. Ray Buzbee.

My parents had beaten us to the hospital the night before and happily waited all night for the birth. I remember holding my Dad's hand during contractions. He was their first grandchild and became greatly loved by his Paw-Paw and Granny.

His name has an interesting origin. Sam's father was Adelbert Brann Thomas. His brother was Adelbert Brandon (His mother didn't like the Brann) Thomas. My maiden name was Brandon. Brandon was a natural for the first name. For his middle name, we chose Scott after Scott Hays, Sam's beloved principal who was dreadfully ill with cancer. So we had Brandon Scott Thomas. I think Sam's parents were disappointed that we did not name him Sam; however there were already three Sams in the family.

Down the hall, awaiting birth was Kaye Novak Price. Her daughter Hainey was born on November 16 at Hendricks. Hainey and Brandon became great friends later.

Apollo 12 was on its way to the moon on Nov. 15th. Sam and Judy Thomas felt like God had given us the moon and the stars too. No little boy was more greatly anticipated and loved. Thankfully, I was able to be a stay-at-home mother for at least four years, while he learned to talk, walk, play with friends, eat honey sandwiches with Paul Phillips and love church.

At age one, he began to hum little songs he made up (Much like Ella today) and he loved falling off the couch into Daddy's arms. He loved the story he called "Little Miss Riding Hood" and could say nursery rhymes at an early age. We have a tape of him singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star at age 2. The love of music came very early.

He loved running and playing with his dog Snoopy, craved dry oatmeal with sugar and Fruit Loops. His early birthday cakes were made and decorated by his dad--he learned early to love celebrations! Christmas was the most fun; we soon found out that he was allergic to real trees and quickly went to artificial. Teasured ornaments today are those we bought during his pre-school years.

When I went back to work, he stayed with a succession of baby-sitters including Maudie Bramhill and Flossie Stovall. At age 6, Sam took him to Bowie Elementary where he was principal for the year with his best kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Baxter.
I think he reminded some of the children several times that he was the son of the principal. One day he came home and told me that "Mr. Thomas" visited his class that day.


I am sure this is more than my readers ever wanted to know about Brandon, but I just can't help it. He has grown into an amazing man of God of whom I am inordinately proud. I wish Sam could see him now.

Happy Birthday, Babe. I love you!

No comments: