Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Give thanks

Even though the Pilgrims buried more people than they built houses for, they still found a reason for Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of the more fun holidays in a school setting--there is no demon lurking behind the corn stalk, and no pagan holiday trappings to avoid. Kids love to dress like pilgrims and Native Americans and to share the holiday at school. At the schools where I was librarian, I always got invited to their thanksgiving feast where they actually ate sweet potatoes, popcorn,nuts, chicken and cranberry sauce. It was a treat.

I am thankful for many things this season--thankful that God is giving me a new adventure in Nashville, that Brandon, Sheryl, Maddie and Ella are all healthy, fun, and Jesus loving, that I am warmed, fed, and comfortable. I am sharing the holiday for the first time in a long time with my brothers--one lives here and the other is coming from Kansas. We always have a good time. I am taking hashbrown casserole (Sorry, Brandon; we will have one Christmas) and the Brandon fruit salad--apples, mandarin oranges, bananas, lots of whipped cream and pecans.

Dear readers, have a wonderful holiday and be safe.

Lord, we thank you for all we have, all you are and all the blessings you have given us in the past and will give us in the future.

No comments: