Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Big names

Two big names in the world of children's literature died this week. Give me your indulgence while I talk about them.

Nancy Larrick died last week at the age of 93. She made history with the publication of an article "The All-White World of Chiidren's Books" in 1965. She analyzed more than 5,000 children's books published from 1962-1964 and found that only about 6% of them included an African-American child in either the text or the pictures. Coming at the height of the Civil Rights movement, editors and publishers
were then influenced to begin publishing books with authors and illustrators of color. She virtually changed the world of children's literature.

Trina Schart Hyman died too young this week of cancer. A Caldecott medalist for St. George and the Dragon, the paintings she did were beautiful. I have never seen a greater rendition of a dragon than in her winning book. My students can probably remember my going on and on about her. I am so sorry we were never able to get her at the NCCIL.

Thank you Lord for skilled, courageous people who change our world.



No comments: