Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Techno Jitters

I am so far behind in meeting the challenges of new technology. I do not have an iPod, nor an iPhone, nor do I know how to download music on my computer, etc.



Yesterday's paper was full of the implications for our beloved music industry ( a 13 billion dollar business in Nashville alone). The implications were not good. Everyone is losing money and stands to lose more money until they, the govt. and the consumers can figure out what to do about the illegal downloading of music. I have only one thing to say--it is illegal and it is stealing, unless you pay for it.



On a related topic, Dr. John Kemeny of Dartmouth Univ.
said several years ago that there were two areas he did not believe any computer would ever be able to accomplish: the areas of creativity and value judgments. I hope that is true--these two areas belong to humanity. It can be said, however, that humanity has not been too good at using either one lately.

If we were more creative, surely we could find some way out of this horrible war, and if we were using value judgments as God would have them, we would get out today. I don't know--maybe the computer would be better at both of those. Science fiction tells us no.

No comments: