Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Encounter with God

In another lecture class, John Mark Hicks took off on his new book in saying that worship is not about what we do for God or do for each other in community, but rather is about an encounter with God. He comes there to commune, conform us to his image, and to consecrate us to God's mission.

As we commune, he is drinking with us and we should be experiencing his presence as a community. So a lot more is going on than just eating little bits of crackers and drinking a drop of Welchs.

This idea of the presence of God in the assembly has always been viewed somewhat skeptically by my fellowship, as has God being beside us every day in real presence. I think we have not gotten over our quarrel with the charismatics and their very real beliefs that God speaks to us on this earth as well as through the Bible.

I think it is time to let go of all of that and relax in the knowledge that God continues to talk to us where ever we are--does He speak in a distinct voice? Not to me. To me, He speaks through what the Quakers call a "nudge in the mind"--it is very real and unmistakable. He is not there to whisk us from Satan's grasp, but to say to us, " What are you doing in God's name?" He is whispering "I love you, even though I know what you just did." He is shouting, "Nothing you can ever DO will make me love you less than I do right now." His voice is the nudge that sends me to Wayne Reed to read; his voice is the nudge that sends me to take food to a family that needs it; his voice is the nudge that makes me stop reading his word for information and ask, "What is it saying to me, Judy Thomas?" His voice is the urge to call someone on the phone...to send an encouraging e-mail....to seek out someone at church who looks lonely....to greet visitors as the door....to make donations to the Nashville Rescue Mission.... to teach class, when it so much easier just to go to class....ah yes, all those nudges....

No comments: