Friday, July 27, 2007

Paper Dolls and Polly Pockets

I remember sitting in the living room floor carefully cutting out the paper doll's clothing with the little white tabs which were used to secure the dresses to the paper doll. I got a new paper doll set for my 10th birthday. I didn't have much patience then for the flimsy paper which more often fell off the paper doll than stayed on. But all the girls were ga-ga over paper dolls, and I was glad to have my own set.

My grandchildren now play with Polly Pockets which is their version of the paper doll. Polly is much easier to work with and much more chic. Easier to work with that is, if one has very small hands to secure the clothing to the doll. Polly has shoes that are so small a whole wardrobe of them would fit in a teaspoon. Yet, I have watched Maddie and Ella sit and apply the clothing very diligently. I guess they are learning what makes a good wardrobe and what colors go together. Polly has her own car--a convertible which matches her clothing and animals whose sweaters also match her. It all makes a lovely scene and brings lots of pretend time.

As I watch the girls play, I can imagine their own designer clothing being worn on a runway somewhere by a model skinny enough to fit under a door. Chanel and Dior, move over. Here comes the Polly Pockets-trained generation.

No comments: