Thursday, July 26, 2007

Reading at Wayne Reed

I spent the morning today reading at Wayne Reed Christian Child Care Center--an organization begun and supported by Otter Creek in the inner city of Nashville. It is an attempt to make a better life for the children of the projects, to keep them safe during the day, and to give them a better start in school. It is one of our best works.

Reading to two-year-olds is always tough, but having a fire drill before you begin to read is a double challenge. However, they liked the book and the gummy fish I gave them after reading Possum Magic. The next thirty minutes I read to the Pre-K kids and that went much smoother. They liked In the Small, Small Pond and had very pertinent comments about every page. I could tell they had been read to a lot, because the titles of other books kept coming up as the animals in the pond were discussed.

After it was over, I got a hug from each student--what a delight!

No comments: