Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Later Day Saints

Before I left Highland, I did not participate in the 39ers even though I was qualified by age. I just was not ready to lump myself in there.

Today I spent an enjoyable day with 9 other Later Day Saints from Otter, and I felt very comfortable. I don't know what happened in the interim....

We toured Belmont Mansion and then ate at the Standard down town. I do not know why someone has not written an historical novel about Adelecia Hayes Franklin Acklen Cheatham. Stories I have heard about her rival the heroine of Gone With the Wind.
She was married four times, always to the richest man around and, indeed at one time, she was the richest woman in Tennessee. Her gumption, grit and intelligence were well-known. Her mansion at Belmont mirrors some of her excesses and her collections. Well worth the $9.00 fee for the tour!

And we Later Day Saints enjoyed one another too. I can sit and listen all day to Mary Williams and Bernie Arnold tell stories.

No comments: