Thursday, August 19, 2004

My times are in your hands

"You are my God. My times are in your hands." Psalm 31:14-15 Perhaps it is because 9 people have died in car wrecks around Abilene the past 5 days or I am sensing my failure to count each day important---this poem by Jane Kenyon really struck me: " I got out of bed on two strong legs. It might have been otherwise. I ate cereal, sweet milk, ripe, flawless, peach. It might have been otherwise. I took the dog uphill to the birch wood-------All morning I did the work I love. At noon, I lay down with my mate. It might have been otherwise. We ate dinner together at a table with silver candlesticks. It might have been otherwise. I slept in a bed with paintings on the walls, and planned another day just like this day. But one day, I know, it will be otherwise"----------As someone wise has said,"Now is a gift from God. That is why it is called the present."--------Father forgive us for the silly frittering away of the days you have given. Help us to appreciate ,as Jane Kenyon did , walk, work, rest, food, companionship and beauty-----all gifts from you today. Poem is from Receiving the Day, Christian Practices for Opening the Gift of Time by Dorothy C. Bass. Copyright 2000, John Wiley.

No comments: