Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Gift of literacy

"As parents, there can be no greater gift to give our children than a literate household to grow up in." Educator Nancy Atwell ------ There are several things about education today that make me want to chew nails. One such example is when a teacher tells me, "Oh, I don't have time to read to my students any more; I have to spend all my time teaching The Test." Even worse is when parents say, " I'm too busy to read to my child. After all, he/she gets that in school. He/she knows phonics. He/she has the Leapfrog reading programs. He/she watches Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow. Isn't that enough?" NO! NO! NO! ------There is no more educationally important thing a parents can do for their children than read aloud to them. Besides the obvious gift of language and literature and the knowledge of the way books and print work, we must not forget the gift of time and closeness we are giving the child in our lap.-----Oh, my. This was a three hour lecture in my children's literature class. -----There are over 3,000 children's book published every year. Where do parents find good books to read?-----Go to the public or school library and ask the children's librarian for titles. They should know good ones for all ages. If not, they need to resign. 2. Go to a good bookstore with a large children's collection; sit down and read dozens until you find one you like. 3. Check out this most wonderful site for good books to read and buy: www.planetesme.com -----Father, help us to order our days so that there will be time for our children and for you.

No comments: