Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Favorite Read Alouds

O. K., let's follow up yesterday with some real titles. A list serve I read has had librarians listing titles they heard at home and titles they read to their children. Ranging from Wind in the Willows to The Little Mermaid---it has been a fun month.-----As I have said before I think, there were no books in our home while I was growing up because of finances; however, even in school, there was no teacher who read that I can remember until the 6th grade. An art teacher, Mrs. Griggs made a trip to New Orleans, picked up a book called Dinner at Antoines (adult fiction) and read it to us that semester embellishing it with art, music and tales about all the places she ate while she was there. It is not surprising that the same group chose to go New Orleans on their senior trip and to eat at Antoines. Even today, I would like to go back.-----I have many favorites to read aloud. Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Journey and Tuesday are sure-fire, as is anything by Patricia Polacco. Any other teachers out there who collect books and movies about teachers?------But for me, the perfect book is always coming, to be published next month which why I haunt the children's section of book stores.

No comments: