Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Beauty

"See, I have chosen Bezalel...and I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship to make artistic designs for work in gold, in silver and in bronze....Exodus 31:2-4 (NASB) Potosi United Methodist Church is celebrating its 125th anniversary this week. The gothic wooden building in which it now meets was built in 1906 and has the wooden pews, wooden floors and stained glass of that era. I have a painting of the church on my guest bedroom wall.-----I think of it sometimes as I sit in Highland's dark cavern floored with burnt orange carpeting. And again as I remember the Hamlin church building with its shotgun auditorium flanked by classrooms like mini-cereal boxes.The old historic two-story church there was torn down in favor of ugly modernity----But wait! I am moving to a church in Nashville which is planning a new building. Perhaps there will be room for craftsmanship and artistic designs there and a sense of the aesthetic-----Perhaps there will be a Bezalel there.

No comments: