Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Savoring

Savor: to delight in, to relish

Last Sunday in class, we talked about savoring as part of a rich life.

Here are some of the things I savor:

watching my grandchildren play on my living room floor
The thousands of crepe myrtles blooming in Abilene today
finding a really good children's book with really good
illustrations
old family pictures and stories
snow falling in my back yard
the cherry in the bottom of a Sonic cherry limeade
the table brimming with food on Thanksgiving
a worship service where everything comes together to the
honor of God and the works of the Spirit are evident
the taste of buttered popcorn at the movies
the West Wing
Turning to the first/last page of a good book
standing in my favorite Abilene museum and watching kids learn about the illustrations in children's books
Turning everything off in my house and sitting in silence
listening to Zoe Worship
drinking a latte with whipped cream on top
the communion service when everyone comes to the front of the
church
"Sam Thomas stories"
meeting with Trilogy, my spiritual formation group
memories of Sam and Brandon playing
the days I spent at ACU teaching teachers-and-parents-to-be
about good children's books
being with my kids in Nashville
hearing Mike Cope preach
remembering my mother's fresh coconut cake
the smell of fresh rain
the almost-daily phone call from my son
the times at church when a change is made, and the walls don't
fall down
reading a fresh copy of Time Magazine or Christianity Today
hearing Adam Hester read the Bible at church
Lingering at the table with lively conversation
my best friends and keepers Ronnie and Darla Lorenz
fall, spring, and winter days which require a little fire in
the fireplace
my grandmother's quilt
my life in retirement

and so many other blessings--Thank you God!

No comments: