Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Apples of Gold

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Prov. 25:11

For the past 20 years, I have kept journals of quotations. Looking back at them, the quotations are almost an outline of my life. The early ones deal with child rearing. Then as I became a librarian, there were hundreds of quotes about books and reading. When I began to teach workshops on poetry,writing and teaching the gifted, there are appropriate quotations. As a teacher of children's literature in a university setting, I collected quotes about the various genres and writers. Now that I am in retirement and still teaching writing in different settings, I find myself collecting quotes again on writing and also on getting older.

What makes a quote worth saving? A clever turn of phrase, a striking use of language, a crystallization of a universal truth or an insightful statement--in short, words aptly spoken.

Father, thank you for your words to me. I treasure them in my heart.

No comments: