Sunday, June 13, 2004

Hiding place

One of the delights of my listening time recently has been the new cd by Selah Hiding Place. I have been in love with this group since I heard their work on their first album
Be Still My Soul. The trio has such tight harmony--they could go a cappella very easily. Their accompaniment is always very
subdued and non-obstrusive.

Todd and Nicole Smith grew up in Congo, Africa, and each album they have done has an African hymn. Hiding Place has a recording made in 1948 of a baptismal service in which their grandfather baptised over 1,000 people.What a treasure to share with Selah's listeners! The new cd begins with a rendition of Josh Groban's very popular "You Raise Me Up."

My favorite hymn on the recording is "O The Deep Deep Love of Jesus." The group has a third cd of last year called Press On, and a Christmas recording The Rose of Bethleham.

After Zoe Worship, this is my favorite group. Third comes
Fernando Ortega--but I will talk about him later.
Pat Conroy wrote, "Without music, life is like a journey through the desert." My life would certainly be the dryest desert without it! Thank you Lord.

No comments: