Friday, June 11, 2004

Karen Hughes

I am reading 10 Minutes from Normal by Karen Hughes. She is one in a line of Texas women politicians I admire: Ladybird Johnson (for her work with wildflowers in our state and her endurance of LBJ), Ann Richards (she brought pizzazz and humor to the governorship) and Carol Keeton Strayhorn (who had the temerity to stand up to Governor "Goodhair" Perry). If they were politicians rather than journalists, I would certainly add Liz Carpenter and Molly Ivins to my list.

I think Hughes should run for president. After all before she left DC, she was seen as the real power behind President Bush's throne. She is pragmatic and doesn't have DC stardust in her eyes. When her son became unhappy in Washington, she left all its perks and moved back to Austin. Since she left, President Bush has had a series of serious mis-steps.

Perhaps she will consider running when her son goes to college.
I will look forward to that.

Dear God, lift up the men and women we need in these perilous times. And help us to remember that all our days are in your hands.

No comments: