Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Courtly gentlemen

In many of the reports aboout Ronald Reagan, commentators often mentioned that he was "a courtly gentleman of the old school."

Since when did being a gentleman become "old school"? When did it stop? I suppose it was in the l960's when we all tried to see how uncivil we could be.

I do yearn for a smidgen of courtliness when young men give me
"the finger" for driving too slowly as they zoom around me. I yearn for a bit of gentlemanly behavior as I am jostled in a long line at the airport, while I am trying to manage my purse, my carry on bag, and take off my jacket and my shoes.
The baleful stare from the male x-ray attendant tells me I am taking too much of his valuable time.

No, I don't want every door opened nor Boy Scouts to help me across the street--I just want a little civility.

Father, help us all to see the persons we can assist as Jesus saw the crowd that followed him.

No comments: