Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thanksgiving is Coming

Thanksgiving may be my favorite holiday. I love the sentiment; I love the food; I love the gathering of family. What's not to like about turkey and dressing (cornbread, of course), green bean casserole, hash-brown casserole, cranberry sauce and pumpkin and pecan pies?

I remember Turkey Day at my Grandmother (Granny) Tucker's. She had four children and all were there bringing their special dish to the celebration. The kitchen and the extra table set up in the bedroom groaned with all the food. In addition to all the above, we had ham,mashed potatoes, candied yams with marshmallows and cherries, macaroni and cheese, homemade rolls, coconut cream pie, Coke (made with Coca-cola) Salad, tossed green salad, Italian Cream Cake and other things I cannot remember. One of my family's favorites was Fruit Salad with whipped cream.

We laughed and told stories and often watched the Texas and Texas A and M game. What fun! I miss that now that I am often the cook.

No comments: