Monday, November 12, 2007

Lion for lambs

Doris and I went to see R. Redford's new film Lion for Lambs on Sat. While I have not seen one favorable review for the movie, there were some good things about it.

Robert Redford, for example! It is, knowing his politics, an anti-war film and an anti-Bush film as well. And that Tom Cruise is handsome in a three piece suit.! ( I find it hard to believe that he would take the role of a Congressman supporting the war and aiming for the Presidency) Merle Streep has a small part as a jaded journalist. It was also good to see the actor who played the title role in Antone Fisher (don't know his name). He and his Mexican-American friend who play soldiers caught by the enemy performing a task their commanding officers knew would fail are very good in the film. Of course, as the good guys, they are killed seconds before being rescued. As a retired college prof, it was fun to see Prof. Redford try to persuade one of his students with great potential to join the human race and find something to do besides party.

I do not support this war, but I do feel great empathy and sympathy for those who are called to serve and for their parents and spouses who wait. On this Veteran's Day, I am thinking of all those who have served from the Minutemen on the Concord Bridge to those who survived D-Day, and those who fought another failed war in Korea, and those who braved the steaming jungles and streams of Viet Nam (including my Navy brother who served on a mine-sweeper) and those who got caught in Desert Storm and now Iraq, plus the millions of others who served without going to battle (like my Air Force brother). And I wonder at the same time if I have done enough to serve my country and give back its blessings. As a teacher, I tried.....

No comments: