Friday, November 09, 2007

Families

I watched the Osmond Family Reunion on Oprah today. It was fun to remember the brothers' and Marie's songs and to watch old clips of their appearances on the Andy Williams Show--one of my favorite shows.

Interesting too to compare this moral Morman family with those of the Spears' and Hilton's. The father who died this week was held up as the patriarch who taught all the Osmonds values, love, and music. A very refreshing look at what families can be even today. All it takes is a concentrated effort to be parents, and faith in God who is there to help in every trial. As Donnie said, "Of course we all have issues, but love holds us together." I believe all 8 brothers are married to their first wife. One could practically see the love and values oozing out of the family (all 100 plus) on the show.

We had a discussion about the teaching of values in public school this week at my book club meeting. I remember the days when there was actually a CURRICULUM for values education in the school system in which I taught. Guess those days are gone forever in these "politically correct" times.

No comments: