Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Phew!

I can't believe it has been a week since I posted--what a busy week; I guess it can only get worse from here.

One of my college roommates and husband visited last week. They live in Cypress, CA, and I had not seen them in 35 years at least. It was like slipping on an old, comfortable shoe--so fun to see them and talk to them. As they said, they really like to visit--in the old sense of sitting and having conversations. (What a novel thought!). We did that, and we visited Belle Meade mansion and Carnton Plantation. Husband Del is a historian. He and I had so much to talk about. Ruth Copeland Scott and I were struck as we went through the old college yearbooks how much we looked alike back then, and still do in many ways. Our hair is white, some extra pounds have appeared, but we still look good and have all our faculties. One thing I enjoyed about Ruth is that she has a better memory for those days than I do--it was interesting to hear what I was like back then. I guess I really haven't changed much--Ruth said that one point as we were lying in our beds in the dorm room, I said, "I feel I really am too mature for all these rules."

Oh yes, we did get to eat at the Puffy Muffin (a definite Nashville must-do) although Del was a little bit put off by the name. Tortilla soup and frozen salad, yum, yum.

They are coming back through on the way home next week. So glad.

I just finished The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo. I didn't like it very much--too repetitive. I am anxious to read a really good book--any recommendations?

No comments: