Thursday, August 31, 2006

What do we do with affluence?

I live next to one of the wealthies counties in the U. S.--Williamson County, TN. This is where the median family income is $90,087. There are an estimated 5,964 families who make in excess of $200,000 a year.

What does that mean for me as I sit patiently waiting for the $2.00 per month cost-of-living increase given each year by the Texas Teacher Retirement System?I guess it means that I know a lot more wealthy people than I used to. It means that I am amazed everyday by the monstrous houses being built in Williamson County. It means that the Nashville area is booming as everyone wants to get in on the high economy--more businesses, restaurants, etc.

There are, however, an estimated 6,891 people living at the poverty level and the homeless level is extremely high, as well.

It woould follow that church contributions are at a very high level (don't think so)and that these rich folks are more than eager to help those who are not (don't think so). I do pray that the growing affluence in this area will spread out to help those who are not as fortunate. This is the essence of Christianity.

No comments: