Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Talladega Nights

Several years ago, Brandon traveled all summer with an ACU recruiting group (Reflections?). The group was booked into Tuscaloosa, AL for an appearance. I decided to go see him and get in a short visit with Gene and Ruth Ann Stallings. (Their daughter Martha Kate was in the group). I flew in; we had a lovely dinner, and then the kids decided to go to a movie. They talked me into going with them ( I don't need much persuasion to go to a movie). We saw "Dumb and Dumber" which truly was the dumbest movie I had seen up to that point.

Monday I saw one that rivaled it: Talladega Nights with Will Ferrell. On the advice of several I talked to who thought it was "the funniest movie they had ever seen", I decided to go for a pick-me-up to the afternoon movie. Besides being crass and crude, this movie is as dumb as Dumb and Dumber. (But then, cars chasing each other around a circle at high speeds is also dumb and dumber IMHO).

There is a generation gap here, I guess. I like my humor a little more subtle. There was a flash of my kind of humor as the French driver was pictured reading Camus's The Stranger in the midst of the race.

The movie is rated PG-13, but should be "R". There were middle schoolers there who probably learned some new language (or not).

No comments: