Thursday, December 09, 2004

What I will miss about Abilene

I am having my computer boxed up and ready to move tomorrow, so this will be my last blog for a while. Thanks for bearing with all the moving laments--this present suffering will be over before long. My brother and I leave next Wed. in my car for Nashville. Please pray for our safety on the road.

There are many things I will miss about Abilene, but here are a few:

Friends

Highland

Reading the newspaper and knowing at least half of those mentioned in the local news.

Sunsets and sunrises (don't see many of those)

The NCCIL

The quiet streets--an asst. police chief once told me that a traffic jam in Abilene was "two cars at a stoplight."

Knowing I had a hand in educating some of the leaders in Abilene.

Sam Thomas Elementary School

Hendrick Hospital and the faith-based care given there.

In fact, all the doctors, dentists, nurses, hairdressers, tailors and other helping people who have served me with grace and skill

My associates at ACU where I taught for 8 years

The Reporter-News which get its licks and often misses the mark, but still serves up a local paper geared to its demographics and the moral values of its readers

The Abilene Public Library with its burgeoning programs and growth under librarian Ricki Brown and the Friends of the Library

Local Friday night football--not that I go to watch, but I love reading about it, watching the bands in parades and seeing the names of the sons and daughters of my friends in the paper

The many churches of all kinds which have loving, caring people

The good-deed doers in Abilene. We have the highest concentration of non-profits in Texas.

Sisneros Buick--earlier Fred Hughes Buick-- where we bought our first Buick over 30 years ago--they actually treated this gray-haired widow as one with some intelligence

The public school system which has recently come through many trials and pains, but is one the right track now with Supt. David Polnick

The local TV news which is often more upbeat than filled with blood and gore

The Public Library book sale where I could buy 4 paperbacks for a dollar.

The Mexican food restaurants, especially El Fenix where the cheese enchiladas are the best I have ever eaten

The three major movie theaters where a customer can always get an extra squirt of butter and can hole up on a Friday afternoon without being bothered by crowds

And last, but certainly not least, Trilogy my spiritual formation group.

But then Nashville has:

Brandon, Sheryl, Maddie, Ella and?

Otter Creek

Bradford Pear trees

More choices for eating and entertainment

The prospect of being trapped at home by snow

The wonderful downtown Public Library and the Frist Art Museum

and other wonders I can't forecast.

No comments: