Sunday, December 05, 2004

I love celebrations!

When you read the Old Testament, you can't get away from celebrations and feast
days, feast weeks and the year of Jubilee. I think Christians don't do enough celebrating--once a week is not enough to celebrate the blessings of God in Christ.

I've been going to a lot of parties and celebrations, and while they are sometimes tough emotionally, I love them. Yesterday a group of friends gave me a little reception in the atrium at Highland in recognition of my leaving. It was truly a wonderful afternoon, seeing not only many friends from Highland, but from around town. My cousins came over from Anson, a childhood friend from Hamlin showed up with her family, and old school friends came to drink punch and reminisce. I taught in 4 AISD schools and all were excellent situations with great principals and teaching budddies. Some of my friends from Austin Elem. School came yesterday, and we had a picture and fun talking about old times. When I think of all the dedicated teachers I associated with, I have to tear up thinking of the influence they have had on the children of Abilene with very little notice and pay. Bless them all.

Then today we REALLY celebrated the 75th anniversay of Highland in Moody Col. at ACU. Hundreds came and sang songs celebrating each decade of the history led by Lynn Anderson and Mike Cope. We even sang "Blue Skies and Rainbows." No, Lynn and Mike didn't lead the songs--they led us through the history.

I was privileged ( among others) to be asked to give a short forecast for the next 25 years of Highland, so I got to be on the stage and look out at all the 700 people at the luncheon. It was a glorious sight. I couldn't sing the traditional "The Lord Bless and Keep You" because of the lump in my throat.

Tonight is the last meeting with my small group which has grown from a small group of friendly strangers to a really tight and loving group over the years. I hate to leave them too.

No ever told me that six months could pass so fast. When I made this decision in July, I never dreamed December would be next week. But so it feels. What a blessing to be a part of such loving people wishing me Godspeed and lovely times in Nashville.

Thank you God, for the lovely band of friends who have been so dedicated, loving and concerned about me over these past 47 years.


No comments: