Monday, December 06, 2004

More last things

Today was really special. The students and teachers at Sam Thomas Elementary and I had a panoramic picture taken in front of the school. Cam Hurst, the principal, arranged the affair. Standing with me were Lauren and Christopher Paul Wertheim, grandchildren of Ronnie and Darla Lorenz and children of Robyn and Paul Wertheim. My cousin, Brittany Tucker, also stood with us. It was a very wonderful time being with 900 children and many of their teachers whom I knew from times past. They are going to frame it and give me a print before I leave. Sam was all over the place as friend Wayne Hennington took the picture (he is a school photographer who loved joking with Sam). Cam said that the principal community was not the same since Sam died--there was no one to keep them close any more. Ann Mayhall, one of the teachers came up and said Sam gave her the first start in the classroom at Bowie. She is an excellent teacher. Sam had a good eye for those who loved children. In fact, at least one other teacher there also taught for Sam--Janie Moore. The school secretary is the daughter of Sam's secretary at Bowie; Nyla Rideout (can't think of her married name) grew up at Minter Lane and was in our Junior class for 3 years. She also teaches there. Diane Cope is an excellent teacher in 2nd grade at Thomas. The librarian Peggy Langford is a good friend and goes to Highland. My cousin's wife, Becky Tucker, teaches P. E. at Thomas. And Cam's wife Joan was a student teacher in Sam's classroom. Dina Longmire taught with me at Dyess. And those are only a few of the connections.

Then I went to Trilogy and the friends gave me a beautiful gift--three ceramic women who are meant to be stood in a circle of friendship. And besides that, we had New Mexico chips (a brand made only in Roswell, McKay's coconut cream pie and a yummy chicken corn chowder which I plan on serving during the holidays in TN.

My last worship committee meeting was a great inspiration as always. Gina Lewis had her new wig and looked marvelous. This committee has been a rich blessing in my life for the last 9 years. I maintained a log of all the songs we used in worship so that we did not sing some too often and so that some were not overlooked. That was a fun job for my librarian mind-set. Very often the Spirit moved in our meetings when just the right song or verse would come to our minds, or when Amy Boone brought a book or a scripture that was perfect for the day to come. Let's see, that means I had the privilege of helping plan 468 Sunday worship times. We have laughed and cried and prayed hard (especially during the women in worship issue).

The theme next Sunday is "75 Years and Counting." I pray the Spirit will pour in extra measure His love and guidance on our band of saints at Highland and on the worship committee.

No comments: